|What is Candida?|
What causes Candida?
The symptoms of a Candida overgrowth
The Candida Diet.
The Candida Diet in PDF
To Print or download the Candida Diet
What is Candida?
Candida is a yeast fungi, there are many different species of yeast fungi but the most common are known as Candida albicans. Little critters are a fact of life with all organic life-forms. The human body is no exception. Our bowl plays host to over 2kg, of up to 500 species of bacteria and other organisms that help break down food for nutrient absorption and create the necessary waste products to be eliminated from the body. These micro organisms including Candida in a healthy body are controlled by the beneficial bacteria and do us no harm. It's when we change our internal environment through diet and lifestyle choices that serious problems start.
What causes Candida?
Antibiotics and steroids have given Candida a special opportunity. The usual broad-spectrum antibiotics kill a lot of different microbes in the body - the bad and the good. But they have no effect on Candida. So, after every course of antibiotics Candida is left without anything to control it, so it grows and thrives. At the dawn of antibiotic era the medical profession recognised this phenomenon, so it used to be a rule to prescribe Nystatin (an anti Candida antibiotic) every time an antibiotic was administered. However, for whatever reason, doctors stopped this practise decades ago and now we are paying the price for it - Candida infection has become extremely common. Apart from antibiotics another factor in our modern world plays a major role in Candida overgrowth - our diet. Candida flourishes on sugar and processed carbohydrates and these are the foods, which nowadays dominate our western eating habits. When feed their favourite foods, they get out of control and turn from a harmless neighbour into a terrible menace and transform from their harmless one cell state into an invasive active state. Candida albicans attach themselves to the intestinal wall, growing long like tentacles or roots that eventually breakthrough the intestinal wall barrier, into the lymph and blood stream producing a whole host of toxic substances, causing many problems in various organs in the body, this is known as Leaky Gut Syndrome. Pretty much every chronic degenerative disorder has been connected to Candida overgrowth from arthritis, and digestive problems to ME, MS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Fibromialgia, and neurological disorders.
The symptoms of a Candida overgrowth
Poor immune function, chronic bloating, intestinal cramps, rectal itching, mouth sores (white patches on the tongue or inside of cheeks), tingling, chronic fatigue (ME), allergies, thrush, bladder infections, cravings for sugar-rich foods and sweets, craving for foods rich in carbohydrates.
The Candida Diet.
This Candida Diet is designed to starve Candida, fungi, yeasts and other parasite into submission. For this Candida diet to work for you, you will need to follow it religiously. Although appearing to be extremely strict, after following this Candida diet for a few days, you should notice increased energy, easier movement, better sleep, and less digestive problems.
The following foods need to be eliminated from your diet:
Foods To Avoid:
- All cow's milk products: cheese, yoghurt, whey - all cow's milk derivatives.
- All yeast products: alcohol, bread, (soda bread is allowed), Marmite, Oxo, Brovril, vinegars, mushrooms, processed and smoked fish, and meats.
- All sugar products: honey, fructose, lactose, glucose, dextrose, Nutrasweet, Caderel, Equal and all saccharin products.
- Nearly all fruit: over-ripe fruits are full of sugar and yeast (hence they go mouldy when over ripe).
- High-sugar root vegetables: such as carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, beetroots. NB: If you really can't live without potatoes, wean yourself off them slowly and try to end up with one a day.
The list of foods below shows you the foods Candida loves and thrives on. These need to be eliminated from your diet for about 28 days to start with.
Too much carbohydrates in the diet turns to glucose rapidly.
Avoid and eliminated from your diet:
- Sugar and sugary foods.
- Bread of all kinds and all of its pastry relatives: crackers, pastries, doughnuts, pies, muffins, cookies, etc.
- Cereals, hot or cold, sweetened or unsweetened
- Fast-food snacks, including crisps and pretzels
- White rice, potatoes and corn
- Product made with white floor such as pasta
- Most fruit
- Root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, parsnips and beetroot
- Chick peas, dried beans, lentils and pinto beans
- Coffee and other caffeine containing beverages
- Fizzy drinks
- Alcohol in all forms
- Fruit juices and squash
- All convenience/junk foods, as they contain hidden sugars and other undesirable ingredients
- Cheese (except non-cow's milk cheese), milk and yoghurt
- All soy products
- Processed meats such as bacon, sausage, ham, salami, bologna, pastrami and hot dogs
- High salt foods such as processed meats and fish. Smoked fish contains unnecessary levels of sodium that can contribute to water retention
- Mushrooms and fungi, including quorn
- Contaminants, such as pickles, topping and all shop-bought sauces
- Hydrogenated fatty acids and partially hydrogenated fatty acids as contained in stick margarines and man-processed foods
- Saturated fats from tropical oil such as coconut oil
- Saturated fats, primarily from meat, dairy and eggs
- Health supplements containing lactose, gluten and citric acid
The following fruit and vegetables are best avoided until the Candida is under control:
Apricots, artichokes, asparagus, aubergine, avocado, blackberries, courgettes, grapefruit, kumquats, okra, passion fruit, peaches, peas, plums, pumpkin, raspberries, sauerkraut, sugarsnap peas, squash, strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon.
So what can I eat?
Good food choices
The foods below have the lowest possible sugar/yeast content and are the best choices when treating and curing Candida. You will notice that there are several oils that can be included in the Candida diet as certain 'good fats' are vital for health (omega 3, 6 and 9 essential fatty acids).
Eat plenty of the following foods:
- Alfalfa sprouts, bean sprouts, bell peppers, (sweet peppers), Bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, endive, fennel, garlic, green beans, greens, hot chilli peppers, kale, lettuce, onions, parsley, radishes, spring onions, spinach, Swiss chard, yellow beans
- Free range eggs, fresh fish (deep and cold caught) and sea food (not shellfish), Lamb and veal, poultry, chicken and turkey, (particularly skinless whit meat), in small amounts
- Culinary herbs and spices
Tip: While on the Candida diet include 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed (linseed) daily and eat plenty of fresh garlic, this adds to the Candida kill-off.
Fats: (in moderation) Avocado oil, cod liver oil, fish oil, flaxseed oil, grape seed oil, hemp oil, monounsaturated fats, olive oil and primrose oil.
Fluids: Try to drink 8 glasses (4 pints) of water each day preferably mineral water: the body is 70% water, so needs fresh supplies daily for optimum hydration and to help flush out toxins. This is very important during the Candida diet program as Candida makes the body quite toxic and acidic. By drinking plenty of fresh water will help the body to detoxify and bring it back into a healthy re-alkalised state. If you can get into the habit of drinking 8 glasses of water a day and continue it, the health benefits are many - you'll notice increased energy, better concentration and clearer skin, to name but a few. Herbal teas, especially Essiac and peppermint, are ideal for hydrating the body. Although most fruits are taboo on the Candida diet program, you may have one piece of firm fruit a day in your diet: apple, pear, or kiwi. However fruit juice is not recommended.
During the Candida/parasite killing process, the body may become clogged with catabolic debris, caused by the parasite die off. You may feel ill as your symptoms apparently worsen. This is known as the Herxheimer's reaction, named after the venerable German dermatologist of the same name. It is temporary and may last for a few days depending on the amount of parasites that are present in the body.
Clinics can do a stool analysis in which Candida and other parasites will be apparent. The Candida Diet is designed to kill Candida and other parasites and flush them from the system. Beneficial bacteria will need to be reinstated back into the digestive system as it is the beneficial bacteria that keep Candida and other parasites in check. To do this a high quality probiotic supplement should be used during and after the Candida diet. The beneficial bacteria strains that are the best and need to be present in the probiotic supplement are: lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidum and Saccharomyces Boulardii. Saccharomyces Boulardii are friendly beneficial yeasts that fight Candida: it is much used in France, where they refer to it as the yeast- fighting yeast. Having Saccharomyces Boulardii in a probiotic supplement will magnify the Candida kill off rate by about four fold.
Diet: Commence the Candida diet regimen as above. The anti Candida diet regimen will need to be done for 28 days and then review the results. If satisfactory, a healthy diet should be adopted thereafter to avoid re-infestation.
- Diet: Drink at least four pints of clean, still mineral water per day
- Diet: Avoid processed foods, fried foods, sugars and all foods that contain sugar (breakfast cereals, fizzy drinks etc.), dairy products, hydrogenated oils (margarine, etc.), and sweets
- Prevention: Don't smoke and avoid second-hand smoke
- Boosting immunity: Indulge in regular and vigorous exercise to pump the lymphatic system, which will help rid the body of waste products and draw oxygen into the body
- Boosting immunity: Get plenty of rest
- Tip: Be constant!
- Tip: Do not fall prey to sugar cravings. This will only feed the Candida/parasite. Starve 'em.
- Anti Candida/fungal supplementation programme:
- A high quality probiotic supplement to reinstall beneficial flora
- A high quality liquid ionic multi mineral/vitamin supplement for boosting the immune system
These supplements can be found on the bottom of this page.
Once clear of Candida and other problem parasites, avoid the minefields to prevent re-infestation. Remember: a continued healthy diet is vital, what you eat determines the condition of your body's overall health especially your immune system. Solving the fungal/parasite problem in the body can lead to tremendous health and longevity.
Anti Candida/fungal supplementation programme:
The two following supplements, to be used in conjunction with the above Candida diet
|Ionic Liquid Multi Mineral Supplement|